Sultan ul Faqr 3rd Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani
Ghaus e Azam
Who is Ghaus e Azam?
Ghaus e Azam Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani (may Allah be pleased with him) adorns the status of Sultan ul Faqr 3rd. His grandeur in the world of Sufism and Faqr is unquestionable and revered by all. He possessed the most dignified virtues, unmatched attributes and an unparalleled status. Undoubtedly, Sultan ul Faqr 3rd Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani is the king and leader of all Saints and Sufis. All the Saints obey him and seek guidance and bounties from him, whether from jinn or mankind.
What does Ghaus e Azam mean?
Ghaus e Azam (al-Ghawth al-Azam/ Ghaus e Azam) is the title of Sultan ul Faqr 3rd Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani which means ‘the greatest helper’.
Birth and parents of Ghaus e Azam
Sultan ul Faqr 3rd Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani was born on Friday, the first of Ramadan in 470 Hijri (1078 AD). His lineage goes back to Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) from paternal as well as maternal side. His father Abu Saleh Musa Jangi was a Sayyid from the progeny of Hasan ibn Ali. While, his mother Umm-ul-Khair was a Sayyid from the progeny of Husayn ibn Ali. Hence, he got the heritage of Faqr from Prophet Mohammad through blood as well as soul.
Abdul Qadir’s father died in his childhood. Thereafter, his mother and maternal grandfather Abdullah Somai brought him up. Both of them owned highest status of sainthood, hence nurtured Abdul Qadir with spirituality as well. To say, he was not only a Saint by birth and blood but his spiritual training also started from infancy. He was complete reflection of Divine light of Mohammad. All the virtues and attributes of Prophet Mohammad’s essence were evident from Sultan ul Faqr 3rd Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani.
Esteemed since childhood
The grandeur of his venerable status had been visible since birth. Born on the night of first Ramadan he did not take feed from dawn until sunset. This miracle continued throughout the month. Next year appearance of the moon of Ramadan was doubtful due to clouds. It was the 29th of Shaban. The next day when infant Abdul Qadir did not take milk his mother understood that it was the first of Ramadan. Afterwards, reliable witnesses confirmed it.
Abdul Qadir’s son Abdul Razzaq Jilani stated that once someone asked his father when did he come to know that he had got the status of beloved friend of Allah? He answered, “When I was ten years old I used to go to a religious school. On the way I used to see angels around me. When I would reach the school I would hear them saying, ‘Let the beloved friend of Allah sit! Leave place for him’. When this happened many times, I became sure that Allah has blessed me with the honourable status of His friend”.
Education of Sultan ul Faqr 3rd
Sultan ul Faqr 3rd Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani had learnt eighteen chapters of the Holy Quran in womb of his mother. At the age of four years his preliminary education started. By the age of ten he had grasped the basic knowledge of all fields. For further education he went to Baghdad in 488 Hijri and got admission in Madrasah Al-Nizamiyya. Abu Al-Wafa bin Aqeel, Abu Zakariya Yahya bin Ali Tabrizi, Abu Saeed bin Abdul Kareem, Abu Saeed Mubarak Makhzoomi and Abu Al-Khair Hammad bin Muslim Dabbas were some of his honourable teachers. Abu Saeed Mubarak Makhzoomi was also the spiritual guide of Ghaus e Azam from whom he got cloak of succession and Trust of Faqr.
Ghaus e Azam accomplished in all branches of religious knowledge in just eight years (488 H to 496 H) of his stay in Baghdad. He mastered in exegesis of Quran, Islamic jurisprudence, Hadiths, mysticism, Faqr and much more. None of his contemporary scholars were peer to him in any regard.
Unprecedented veracity of Ghaus e Azam
When young Abdul Qadir was leaving for Baghdad, his mother advised him to always speak truth. She gave him forty dinars as provision for journey. Abdul Qadir joined a caravan, on the way dacoits attacked the caravan. While they were looting the caravan, a dacoit came to Abdul Qadir and asked him if he had anything. Abdul Qadir replied, “Yes I have forty dinars.” The dacoit did not believe him and went away. Then another dacoit came and asked the same. Abdul Qadir told him the truth. He also made fun of Abdul Qadir.
Both dacoits told their chief about Abdul Qadir. The chief called Abdul Qadir and asked him, “O boy! Tell the truth what do you have?” He replied, “I have told the truth to your companions.” The chief asked, “Where is the money.” Abdul Qadir told him that it was sewn under his clothes. When dacoits searched him they found the money. They were surprised. The chief asked him, “Boy why did not you try to save your money from us?” Abdul Qadir said, “My mother advised me to always speak the truth. How could I disobey my mother for just forty dinars?” These words made the chief tremble with fear of Allah. He started weeping that how unfortunate he was as he had been disobeying Allah for worldly gains the entire life. He at once repented and left dacoity, his companions joined him in repentance.
Afterwards this entire group exalted to sainthood.
Stay of Sultan ul Faqr 3rd in Baghdad
During his early stay in Baghdad, Sultan ul Faqr 3rd had to face extremely arduous conditions. He could not adopt any means of earning because he was in full time education. Meanwhile, famine struck Baghdad. He either starved for most of the days or ate weeds and herbs grown on the bank of river Tigris. Young Abdul Qadir neither had any place to live nor extra clothes to change. A robe of coarse cloth and a small turban was his only dress.
Sultan ul Faqr used to spend the day at institution and at night he would go to jungle. Bare earth was his bed and bricks were his pillow. Rain or storm, severe cold or hot weather, he was indifferent to everything around him. His only concern was his search for the Divine reality. He used to wander barefooted in jungle, absorbed in his craze for his beloved Allah, forgetting everything else. His only pleasure was gaining veritable knowledge of religion and seeking closeness of Allah.
Intense devotions of Sultan ul Faqr 3rd
After completing education Sultan ul Faqr 3rd practised hard devotions and mystic exercises for twenty five years for esoteric accomplishment. He went through unbearable endeavours to break the veil of innserself and attain highest degree of Oneness with Allah. Once during sermon he said, “I had been wandering in the wilderness of Iraq for twenty five years. Offered the dawn salat with ablution done for night salat and continued this practice for forty years. Moreover, for fifteen years I had been reciting the whole Quran in the night salat standing on one leg. Usually I spent thirty to forty days without eating or drinking anything”.
Sultan ul Faqr 3rd further stated, “If a mountain had to suffer the hardships I have gone through, it would have burst. When troubles became intolerable for me, I would lie on earth and recite the verse;
فَإِنَّ مَعَ الْعُسْرِ يُسْرًا. إِنَّ مَعَ الْعُسْرِ يُسْرًا
Meaning: Certainly with hardship will be ease. Indeed with hardship will be ease. (Al-Inshirah 5-6)
Recitation of this verse gave me peace. Hence, when I rose up from the earth, all my pain had gone.”
Certainly, no other Sufi or Saint has the courage to offer such hard devotions as he did only for Allah. That is why his foot is on the neck of every Saint.
Severity of hardships
Shaikh Abu al-Masood stated that Sultan ul Faqr 3rd Ghaus Paak once told him about the severity of hardships he had gone through. While narrating them he said, “I had been putting my innerself to harsh trials for several years. I used to spend one year without drinking water and ate potherbs or any eatable that people had thrown. Then, the next year I wouldn’t eat anything and lived only on water. After that I would spend a complete year without eating or drinking anything and even abstained from sleeping.”
Sultan ul Faqr 3rd added further, “For several years I resided in abandoned houses of Baghdad’s area, Karkh. During that period my only food was a herb named ‘kondal’. People considered me a lunatic. I used to wander in deserts, wailed, rolled myself on thorns until my body was battered. People would take me to some physician. There I used to have a fit of agony of death. They would think that I was dead. Then they prepared for my funeral and burial. When they would lay my body to give me last bath, I would suddenly regain consciousness”.
Once Sultan ul Faqr 3rd said, “In the start of spiritual endeavours, state of my wandering was strange. Many a times I did not know where I was. On regaining senses I would find myself in remote areas. Once in a state of unawareness I started running in a desert near Baghdad. When I became conscious I found myself at twelve days distance from Baghdad.”
Meeting with Khidr
Ghaus e Paak narrated that he met a celestial person while he was wandering in the deserts of Iraq. He asked Abdul Qadir, “Do you want to be with me?” He replied yes. The person said, “Alright then promise to obey me.” Ghaus e Azam promised. Then he said, “Stay here until I come back.” Ghaus e Azam engrossed himself in worships and waited for one year. That person returned after a year, stayed for a while and left again ordering Ghaus e Azam to wait there. After a year he again came and left in the same manner. Hence, Ghaus e Azam waited for him in desert for three years continuously. After three years he appeared with bread and milk and said, “Well done O pious young man! My name is Khidr and I have been ordered to have this bread and milk with you.”
Someone asked Ghaus e Azam what he had been eating during those three years. He answered, “Thrown away chunks of food.”
Fight against devils and traps
Sultan ul Faqr 3rd Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani once said that during spiritual struggles devils would attack him camouflaging in devious avatars. However, Allah protected him from their vices. When devils attacked him, he heard a voice from the unmanifested, “O Abdul Qadir! Stand and fight against them. Our help is with you.” Hence, he would fight them with firm belief and they would flee after defeat. Once a devil came to Sultan ul Faqr 3rd in an odious face and said, “I am Satan. You have wearied me and my henchman. Now I wish to serve you.” Abdul Qadir said wrathfully, “O acursed! Abscond now.” It refused. All of a sudden Abdul Qadir saw a hand from the hidden thrust onto Satan’s head. At once the Satan got buried in the ground.
Once again Satan came to Abdul Qadir and set many traps around him. He asked, “What are these?” Satan replied, “These are worldly snares and deceptions in which we trap people like you.” Sultan ul Faqr 3rd fought hard to break those traps for a year and at last succeeded in getting rid of them. Likewise he struggled against the traps of worldly relations for another year and broke them as well.
Oath of allegiance
After eight years of mastering in all forms of intellects and afterwards cleansing his innerself by spiritual endeavours for twenty-five years, it was time that Abdul Qadir entered a Sufi order. Hence, according to the Almighty’s will, he took oath of allegiance at the hand of Shaikh Abu Saeed Mubarak Makhzoomi. He was an undoubted Sufi master of his time and accomplished Saint. Though, Abdul Qadir also benefitted and learnt spirituality from Abu’l-Khair Hammad ibn Muslim al-Dabbas, another contemporary Saint.
Sultan ul Faqr 3rd Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani ate food from the hands of Shaikh Abu Saeed Mubarak Makhzoomi after entering his circle. He said of the instance, “Each morsel which I ate from my spiritual guide’s hand enlightened my soul.” Then his spiritual guide presented him the cloak of sainthood and said, “O Abdul Qadir! The Holy Prophet gave this cloak to Ali ibn Abi Talib. He gave it to Hasan of Basra and finally it reached me transferring from one spiritual guide to the other.” When Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani wore it, countless forms of Divine theophanies descended on him.
Shaikh Abu Saeed was very proud of Abdul Qadir’s elite spiritual status. Once, Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani was with him. When he left for a while Shaikh Abu Saeed said to his other disciples, “Remember! One day this youth’s feet will be on the neck of all Saints. And all Saints of his age will stand humble before him.”
Throne of spiritual guidance and persuasion
Sultan ul Faqr 3rd Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani had attained ultimate heights of Divine closeness. Now, it became his obligation to guide people on the path to Allah. In 521 Hijri he adorned the throne of spiritual guidance and persuasion on the order of Holy Prophet. He saw the Holy Prophet in dream who said to him, “Abdul Qadir! Why don’t you preach and guide people to save them from depravity?” He replied, “Prophet of Allah! I am a non-Arab. How can I speak before the eloquent Arabs!” The Prophet said, “Open your mouth.” Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani obeyed. The Prophet put his saliva seven times in Abdul Qadir’s mouth and ordered him, “Go! Preach and guide umma and call them towards the path to Allah.”
The very next day Sultan ul Faqr 3rd started giving sermons. At first, he hesitated. Suddenly, the spiritual state of unveiling engulfed him. He saw that Ali ibn Abi Talib was standing in front of him. He said to him, “Why aren’t you starting the sermon?” Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani replied humbly, “Father! I am hesitant.” Ali ibn Abi Talib said, “Open your mouth.” He obeyed and Ali put his saliva in his mouth six times. Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani asked “Why you did not place it seven times?” He replied, “In the honour of Holy Prophet.”
Ali left and Sultan ul Faqr 3rd delivered the sermon. His eloquence astonished the people and left many Arabs speechless. In this way, he started giving spiritual guidance and knowledge to people through sermons.
Effect of sermons on people
The sermons of Sultan ul Faqr 3rd were like a raging ocean of wisdom. Its divine effects would engulf many in the state of spiritual ecstasy. Some would tear their clothes and others became unconscious. Often one or two people in his sermons lost not only their conscious but their lives as well. At times non-Muslims would also attend. His words were so effective that they would convert to Islam there and then. Depraved ones tread the straight path. It is a famous recount that clothes and turbans of few would ablaze by the passion in his words.
The voice of Sultan ul Faqr 3rd was very strong like thunder which could be heard alike by vast audiences. Such was the state of awe that not a single person would move. His sermons were according to the state and needs of audiences and why not! He was the special representative of the Prophet. People found answers to their doubts without questioning, hence got inward purgation.
The repute of Ghaus e Azam dastagir attracted people from distant areas. Common people, scholars, Saints and Sufis of that time regularly listened to his sermons. There were present four hundred people to record his sermons and two reciters to recite Quran in every congregation. He devoted the last forty years of his life guiding the people on the path to Allah. Sultan ul Faqr 3rd usually gave sermon thrice every week, on Friday, Wednesday evening and Sunday morning.
Superiority over all Saints
One day during sermon while being in the state of deep engrossment, Ghaus e Azam Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani announced by the will of Allah;
قَدَمِیْ ھٰذِہٖ عَلٰی رَقَبَۃٍ کُلِّ اَوَلِیِّ اللّٰہِ
Meaning: My foot is over the neck of every Saint!
Allah ordered the angels to instantly announce this status of Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani in the entire universe. Moreover all the Saints and Sufis were esoterically ordered to obey this command. Hence, every Saint whether physically present there or not, alive or dead, bowed his head and accepted Abdul Qadir’s supremacy. Shaikh Ali bin al-Hayti was the first among them. Even the Saints in the world of jinn joined this obedience.
Imam Abu al-Hasan al-Shatnufi narrated a tradition from Shaikh Abu Saeed Qaelwi in his book Bahjat-ul-Asrar. It states, “When Sultan ul Faqr 3rd Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani uttered this, Allah descended a special theophany on his inward. The seraphim brought a robe of honour from the Prophet. Sulan ul Faqr 3rd wore it in front of all the Saints present, of past times and those to come. Those who were alive were present physically and souls of those who had passed away attended as well. The angels and offices from Sufi hierarchy had bordered the gathering from earth till heaven. The sky was crowded with their queues and there wasn’t any Saint who had not bowed.”
All the books written on his marvellous personality particularly quote this statement with its unanimous acceptance by all Saints.
Reviver of religion
Greatest miracle of Sultan ul Faqr 3rd Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani was the revival of Islam in its true and original form. His sermons, teachings, books, personal meetings with devotees rather all his struggle revolved around the renaissance of Islam.
Before him, the Muslim world was divided into many sects and the knowledge about true religion was found nowhere. Muslims had weakened politically as well. Consequently, sectarianism and disunion ruled everywhere. Sultan ul Faqr 3rd Abdul Qadir Jilani has mentioned seventy three sections of Muslims present at that time in his book Ghunyat al-Talibeen. Most of these sections were heretic and schismatic. Further, Muslim scholars were indulged in useless discussions and arguments. Those who claimed to be Mystics and Saints also had only the superficial knowledge of mysticism and spirituality. As a result, the system of spiritual chains and orders had also weakened.
Sultan ul Faqr 3rd, through his marvellous knowledge of Islam and his unparalleled status in the spiritual as well as physical world, put an end to all the schismatic sections and heretic orders. He reconstructed the system of spiritual orders that originated from Ali ibn Abi Talib and spread through Hasan of Basra. Sultan ul Faqr 3rd purified them of heresy and schism which had polluted them with time. Hence, he was honoured with the title of Mohiyyuddin meaning ‘the reviver of religion’.
Announcement of the title
Once someone asked Sultan ul Faqr 3rd that how he became known by the title of reviver of religion? He told a strange incident of witnessing the unmanifested. It goes as:
“Once I was outside Baghdad. When I returned I saw an old man who was sick, leaned and in a very distressed condition. When I came closer, he said, ‘Shaikh! Pay me your spiritual attention and blow the Messiah’s breath to strengthen me.’ I prayed to Lord for his health and then blew on him. Suddenly, he no longer remained weak. Standing up with strength and health he said, ‘Abdul Qadir do you recognize me?’ I replied, ‘No.’ He answered, ‘I am the religion of your grandfather (the Prophet) and I was as you saw me because of weakness. Now, Allah has given me new life because of you. You are the reviver of religion. You are the great reformer’.”
Sultan ul Faqr 3rd further stated:
“I left that man and headed to the city’s main mosque. A barefooted man ran passed me calling ‘the reviver of religion’ loudly. I was astonished. After offering salat in the mosque when I looked around, I saw that a large crowd had gathered. And people were raising loud slogans of ‘the reviver of religion’, ‘the reviver of religion’.”
Grandeur of Sultan ul Faqr 3rd
غوث الاعظمؓ درمیان اولیا
چوں محمدؐ درمیان انبیا
Meaning: Ghaus e Azam has got the same status among Saints as Mohammad has got among Prophets.
Shah Waliullah Dehlawi describes the grandeur of Sultan ul Faqr 3rd in his work Hama’at, which is complete history of mysticism, in these words:
- After Ali ibn Abi Talib starts a series of Sufis and Saints. Most powerful and superior to them all is Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani. He travelled the mystic path with utmost excellence through actual Awaisi way. That is why he is believed to be as powerful in his grave as he was when alive. (Hama’at)
Bahauddin Naqshband said:
بادشاہِ ہر دو عالم، شاہ عبد القادرؓ است
سرورِ اولادِ آدم، شاہ عبد القادرؓ است
بر زمین و آسمان، جن و بشر ہم قدسیان
ساختہ وردِ زبان ہم، شاہ عبد القادرؓ است
Meaning: Undoubtedly, Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani is the king of both worlds and the leader of all mankind. All the jinn, humans and angels on the earth and in heavens are full of praise for him.
Sultan bahoo’s devotion
Sultan Bahoo considers Sultan ul Faqr 3rd his spiritual guide and venerates him in his every book. He says;
- Sultan ul Faqr 3rd is the vicegerent and heir of the Holy Prophet. The key of both worlds is in his custody as he is the beloved of Allah. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
- The greatest of all Saints Sultan ul Faqr 3rd Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani was blessed with Faqrin the womb of his mother. He revived true sharia of Prophet Mohammad and became the beloved of people of Faqr. Hence, they entitled him as ‘Fakir Mohiyyuddin’. (Ain-ul-Faqr)
- Sultan ul Faqr 3rd is the beloved of Allah. He had been elevating his five thousand disciples and seekers every day, after purifying them from infidelity and misbelief. He would take them to the level of an immortal Mystic by the Divine benedictions. Sultan ul Faqr 3rd submerged three thousand among them in the gnosis of Divine light. Hence, blessed them with the observation of Oneness such that they reached the level of:
اِذَا تَمَّ الْفَقْرُ فَھُوَ اللّٰہُ
Meaning: When Faqr is accomplished that is Allah.
Further, Ghaus e Azam blessed the remaining two thousand with the presence in the Mohammadan Assembly. (Shams-ul-Arifeen)
باھُوشد مریدش از غلامانِ بارگاہ
فیض فضلش می دہاند از الٰہ
باھُو! سگے درگاہِ میراںؓ فخر تر
غوث و قطب زیر مرکب بار بر
Meaning: (1) Bahoo entered the servitude of Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani and became his disciple. He is the mediator between beneficence of Allah and His true seekers. (2) O Bahoo! It is a matter of great pride to be slave of the court of Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani. All the ranks of Sufi hierarchy feel honoured to serve him. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
Spiritual order of Sultan ul Faqr 3rd
Four spiritual orders originated from Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani; Qadri, Soharwardi, Chishti and Naqshbandi. Qadri order is his own order while Saints who got beneficence from him lead the other three. Hence, Qadri order is superior to all other orders just as he is superior to all other Saints.
Sultan Bahoo promoted the Qadri order in sub-continent renaming it as the Sarwari Qadri order. He says:
- Qadri order has two off shoots; Sarwari Qadri and Zahidi Qadri. Sarwari Qadri spiritual guide has perfect command over contemplation of Ism-e-Allah Zaat. He blesses the seeker with the spiritual education and Divine guidance through Ism-e-Allah Zaat. And grants him the status equal to his own on the very first day. Subsequently, the seeker becomes indifferent and independent of all needs, his attention remains focused only on the Truth. Hence, gold and soil become equal for him.
Contrarily, the follower of Zahidi Qadri order has to devote at least twelve years to hard mystic struggles. So much so that his stomach remains empty. After twelve years, he becomes eligible to be presented before Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani and attains the status of a majdhub (lost) devotee. While, the status of a Sarwari Qadri is that of beloved devotee. (Kaleed-ul-Tauheed Kalan)
- A Sarwari Qadri Fakir is so powerful and courageous that he rides a lion and heads all the Ghawth and Qutb. Saints and Dervishes of all other orders are unaccomplished as compared to him. (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
Authority over Faqr
Due to the most supreme status of Sultan ul Faqr 3rd in Faqr and spirituality, the Holy Prophet has granted him complete authority over them. Without his permission and approval no one can acquire Faqr or gain sainthood.
Sultan Bahoo mentions this status of Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani in these words:
- Everyone who attained sainthood, mysticism, righteousness and the status of Dervish, Ghawth or Qutb, got it from Shaikh Abdul Qadir. Because he has got complete command over both the worlds. Whoever disapproves his grand status, is cursed and rejected by Allah like the depraved Satan. Every true Muslim of the umma of Prophet Mohammad who is or was a real Momin, Saint, Sufi, Ghawth, Qutb is a disciple of Sultan ul Faqr 3rd Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani. None of them is out of his discipleship. Whoever turns away from his discipleship can never gain the gnosis and recognition of Allah. (Mehak-ul-Faqr Kalan)
Splendour of Ghaus e Azam’s followers
Once someone asked Sultan ul Faqr 3rd, “What is the difference between follower of your spiritual order and those of other orders?” He answered:
اَلۡبَیۡضَتِیۡ بِاَلۡفٍ وَفَرۡخِیۡ لَا ثَمۡنَ لَہٗ
Meaning: An egg (beginner disciple) of mine is equal to thousand birds of others and no one can match him.
Sultan Bahoo says in this context:
ہر مریدش آفتاب روشنیٴ حق نما
فیض بدہد فیض بخشد برد حاضر مصطفیٰؐ
Meaning: Every true disciple of Shaikh Abdul Qadir is like the sun which guides towards Truth. He provides spiritual beneficence to the seekers of Allah and eventually takes them to the Mohammadan Assembly. (KALEED-UL-TAUHEED KALAN)
- Even most junior disciple of Sultan ul Faqr 3rd Abdul Qadir Jilani has elevated status as compared to Ghawthand Qutb of other orders. He grants the eternal Divine presence and presence of Mohammadan Assembly to his seekers. He makes them desirable in the court of Allah by taking them to the arena of everlasting Divine Oneness. (KALEED-UL-TAUHEED KALAN)
He still guides the followers of Sarwari Qadri order himself first and then hands them over to a spiritual guide.
Ghaus e Azam Books
Sultan ul Faqr 3rd has written many books for the guidance of seekers of Allah. The most famous are:
- Al-Fath ar-Rabbani
- Futuh al-Ghaib
- Sirr al-Asrar
- Ar-Risala Tul Ghausia
- Ghunyat al-Talibeen
- Divan-e-Ghausia (Poetry)
Teachings of Sultan ul Faqr 3rd
Vision of Allah
Sultan ul Faqr 3rd says about the vision of Allah:
- “Our Allah is Omnipresent and can be seen.” He further says, “How can a person pray Allah without seeing and recognizing Him!” (Al-Fath ar-Rabbani)
- For every true believer who has gnosis of Allah, there are two physical eyes and two spiritual eyes. With his physical eyes he can see the world and its dwellers. While, with his spiritual eyes he can see the dwellers of the unseen world. Then, all the veils from his soul raise up and he can behold Allah without any doubt and material medium. Thus, he becomes closest to Allah and His beloved.” (Al-Fath ar-Rabbani)
- Allah has created man just for His gnosis and union. Hence, it is essential for him to seek only that thing for which Allah has sent him in the world. He should not waste his life in useless acts. So that he is not ashamed after death for wasting his life. (Sirr al-Asrar)
Seeker of Allah
- Most people are seekers of world; seekers of paradise are less, whereas seekers of Allah are few. Despite that their status is of alchemy, as they have the ability to transform bronze into pure gold. They are rare but are the chiefs of masses and serve as protection for common people. It is because of them that curses rebound from the creation. Only by virtue of them, rain showers and earth gives birth to grains and fruits.
In the former state, they wander from one town to another and from one deserted place to another. When people recognize them at one place, they relocate from there. Then there comes a time when Divine forts are built around them. Allah’s graciousness descends upon their soul. The armies of Allah take them into their protection. They become respected and safe. Now, it becomes obligatory upon them to focus on humanity. They become spiritual doctors and treat the creation of Allah. However, all these things are beyond your perception and intellect. (Al-Fath ar-Rabbani)
- When a person says Allah once with true heart, then there should not remain anyone other than Allah in his heart. (Al-Fath ar-Rabbani)
- When Ism-e-Allah Zaatenters the inward, it is lit with two things; the Divine blaze and light. The Divine blaze burns the thoughts and love of everything other than Allah. While the Divine light enlightens the inward and makes it clean like mirror. (Al-Fath ar-Rabbani)
- Once a Saint reached a mosque of Syria. He was very hungry. He said to himself, “I wish I knew the Ism-e-Azam(greatest name of Allah).” Suddenly two men descended from the sky and sat beside him. One of them said to the other, “Do you want to know the Ism-e-Azam?” The other replied in affirmative. First man said, “Say, اَللّٰہُ it is the Ism-e-Azam.” The Saint thought that he often recited the name of Allah اَللّٰہُ but never experienced its efficacy. The man explained, “Allah should be invoked in such a way that there is no one except Allah in inward.” (Al-Fath ar-Rabbani, Malfoozat-e-Ghausia)
Ar-Risala Tul Ghausia is account of Shaikh Abdul Qadir’s conversation with Allah in which he writes;
- I saw Allah. Then I asked, “O Lord! What is meant by Divine love?” He replied, “O al-Ghawth al-Azam! Love Me, love for Me and I am love Myself. Purify your inward and actions from everything other than Me. When you have recognized the love outwardly, it is essential for you to surpass the (inward) stages of love. Because love is also a veil between the lover and Beloved. Hence, it is necessary for you to go beyond everything other than Allah. As everything other than Allah is a veil between the lover and Beloved.”
Perfect Spiritual Guide
- Endeavour to join the assembly of perfect spiritual guide because it blesses with accomplishment in religion. In their celestial company and assembly a person’s inward is filled with pure love of Allah. (Ghunyat-ul-Talibeen)
- O people of Allah! You live in material world of ways and means, so you need a medium. Ask your Holy Lord for a spiritual doctor (spiritual guide) who would cure the diseases of your soul. Ask Him for a healer who would give you the remedy you require. Seek such a guide who holds your hand and leads you towards the true path of salvation. (Al-Fath ar-Rabbani, Malfoozat-e-Ghausia)
- You are (spiritually) blind, find the one (the perfect spiritual guide) who holds your hand. You are ignorant, find a man of intellect. Thus, when you find the one, stay in his company, follow his words and seek the rightful path from him. When under his guidance you reach the rightful path then remain there and achieve gnosis of Allah.(Al-Fath ar-Rabbani)
- It is necessary for a disciple to have a guide and custodian because this world is like a jungle. Here, there are many dangerous snakes and scorpions, horrible wild animals and many other kinds of disastrous dangers. The perfect spiritual guide will save him from all the catastrophes and show him the safe ways. If the disciple will travel through this jungle without a guide, he will surely be harmed. (Al-Fath ar-Rabbani)
Heirs of the Holy Prophet
- The perfect Saint (perfect spiritual guide) possesses sainthood of the Holy Prophet which is spiritual part of his Prophethood. The Holy Prophet himself entrusts this sainthood to that Saint. The religious scholars who only have the superficial knowledge of religion should not be taken as the ‘perfect Saints’. Because if we do consider them as heirs of the Prophet then they would just have uterine relation with him. True heirs are those who are the real children of a father. As they are more related to father than all the other uterine children. That is why, Prophet Mohammad said, “One portion of knowledge is kept secret which is known only to the Divine scholars (i.e. the perfect spiritual guides). (Sirr al-Asrar)
- Since Prophet Mohammad is not physically present for you to follow, hence when you follow the sacred men (perfect spiritual guides) who are his perfect followers and have always obeyed him steadfastly, it is as if you have followed the Holy Prophet. Seeing them is like seeing the Holy Prophet. (Al-Fath ar-Rabbani)
Family of Shaikh Abdul Qadir Jilani
Sultan ul Faqr 3rd had four wives and twenty-seven sons. History gives names of only ten as others died in adolescence. His ten sons whose names are mentioned below became famous and from them his lineage continued. They were also his spiritual successors.
- Shaikh Sayyid Abdullah Saifuddin Abdul Wahab Jilani
- Shaikh Sayyid Abu Bakr Tajuddin Abdul Razzaq Jilani
- Hazrat Shaikh Sayed Abdul Rehman Abdullah Jilani
- Shaikh Sayyid Abu Ishaq Ibrahim Jilani
- Shaikh Sayyid Abu al-Farah Sirajuddin Abdul Jabbar Jilani
- Hazrat Shaikh Sayed Abu Bakr Shamsuddin Abdul Aziz Jilani
- Shaikh Sayyid Abu Nasr Ziauddin Musa Jilani
- Shaikh Sayyid Abdul Rehman Sharfuddin Esa Jilani
- Hazrat Shaikh Sayed Abu al-Fazal Mohammad Jilani.
- Shaikh Sayyid Abu Zakariyyah Yahyah Jilani
Death of Ghaus e Azam
Sultan ul Faqr 3rd died at age of ninety-one on Saturday night, 11th Rabi ath-thani, 561 H (12 February, 1166).
Ghaus pak Mazar (shrine)
The shrine of Sultan ul Faqr 3rd is in Baghdad Sharif and is to date the centre for devotees.
Who did Sultan ul Faqr 3rd passed Faqr?
Sultan ul Faqr 3rd passed on treasure of Faqr to his son Shaikh Abdul Razzaq Jilani who holds the status of fourth Sultan-ul-Faqr.
Book on the life and teachings of Ghaus e Azam
The present spiritual success of Sultan ul Faqr 3rd, Sultan ul Ashiqeen Sultan Mohammad Najib ur Rehman has written a comprehensive and most authentic book on the life of Abdul Qadir Jilani and his teachings. To read the book please follow the link: